Join us for two workshops on creating interactive dashboards presented by Tom Withee and Shelly Engelman!
We are offering two workshops for our January professional development, the first will be a session oriented towards beginners on Friday, January 20, 2023. The second, on Friday, January 27, 2023 is intended to provide additional instruction to those who are more advanced. Additional details are provided below.
When registering, please be sure to choose the appropriate registration type: Beginner Session Only, Advanced Session Only, or Beginner AND Advanced Session.
Designing Interactive Data Dashboards with Excel and Google: Beginner Level - Friday, January 20, 2023
Creating dynamic dashboards in Excel and Google is a fantastic and cost-effective way to view important data with minimal construction time. This workshop takes you through all you need to know to design interactive dashboards from start to finish in Excel and Google Sheets. Shelly and Tom will provide you with practical, hands-on, step-by-step instructions to turn your static data table into a dynamic dashboard that will “wow” your stakeholders. We will demonstrate how to use Pivot Tables, PivotCharts, and Slicers to create well-designed dashboards that allow your stakeholders to slice-and-dice the data in seconds. You will leave the workshop with clear steps that you can immediately implement to create stunning dashboards that are pliable, dynamic and easy to reproduce.
You will learn:
- How to use PivotTables, PIvotCharts, and Slicers to create interactive dashboards
- Quick visualization tips and tricks to customize your dashboards for stakeholders
- How to secure your dashboard using built-in protection features
- Different chart types to display data in the most meaningful way
- Basic knowledge of Excel (e.g., charts, basic formulas)
- PivotTable knowledge is helpful, but not necessary to take this workshop
- Best practices in designing your dashboards to maximize impact
- Four effective dashboard layout techniques
- Advanced features in Excel to customize your dashboards for various stakeholders
- How to integrate inferential statistics (e.g., t-tests) into your dashboards
- Knowledge of both PivotTables and Slicers in Excel is required (Consider taking the beginner workshop in advance to get caught up!)
Designing Interactive Data Dashboards with Excel and Google: Advanced Level - Friday, January 27, 2023
This advanced workshop will take your dashboards to the next level. In this hands-on, step-by-step workshop, Shelly and Tom will provide best practices in dashboard design to make your dashboards really pop. They will also teach you how to incorporate inferential statistics (e.g., t-tests) into your dashboards that update and as you slice and- dice your data. Throughout the course, you will learn advanced features in Excel to maximize the impact of your dashboards. As part of your participation in this course, you will have access to 6 sample interactive dashboards in Excel that you can use in your own practice. Excel features to maximize to have the chance to learn some "smart" visualizations that your clients will be asking "how'd you do that?".
You will learn:
These events will be recorded, but will only be made available to those who have registered by January 27, 2023. Both workshops are free for IEA members and AEA regional affiliates with a code. Non-members may register for one workshop for $20, or both for $30.
This professional development opportunity is provided with support from the Foellinger Foundation.